Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pale, Fire WOW

So i finished Pale, Fire. This has been one of the strangest, unique, interesting as well as difficult books I've ever had the opportunity to read. I found myself reading some parts as fast as I could. Not to get through it, but I think it was a mix of wanting to know what was going to happen next as well as feeling the passion of the character before i even realized it. I have a new found respect for Nabokov and his ability to create some pretty weird people. I am also learning more about the fact that he puts continual themes in his stories. I have noticed the themes of butterfly, a dislike of Freud, "reality" in several contexts, and the importance of memory. The one i literally grinned at was the Lolita reference. As we all know, Nabokov wrote a smaller version of Lolita before the novel, but I like the hint in Pale, Fire to the novel that would follow. I admit, I don't always notice the references to previous historical literature, but I'm working on it. I was very blow away by this book and was very thankful i understood most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment