Tuesday, October 6, 2009

definitions of big words

I thought it might be helpful to write out a few definitions of some big words i know i was unfamiliar with and I have a feeling others are as well.

Speak, Memory. p258-inanition-to be exhausted or lethargic, sometimes from starvation

inauspicious-unfavorable, ill-omened

diaphanous-very sheer or light, translucent


A part in speak, memory was very relatable to me and my frustrations with trying to read and fully understand Nabokov's work. Page 221 "It did not occur to me that far from a veil, those poor words were so opaque that, in fact, they formed a wall." I don't know if it's my lack of patience or lack of comprehension but when the writing gets to specific or to far off into left field, my mind starts to wonder because i don't understand what's happening, but I'm trying though. i feel a dull wall of ache on the inside of my forehead that makes it hard for me to focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment